Sunday, 20 April 2008

Is it a record?

I have been out guiding on the river during the last few days in some of the worst down stream winds I can remember, even so there have been some good hatches and the fish are feeding. In fact the season seems to have got off to a better start than in 07. Even better the trees are in bud and starting to green up, this is my favourite time of year and with May fast approaching I am really looking forward to meeting up with some old friends and taking them fishing.

Today I was looking after David Sedgwick who has been fishing with me for over 8 years. He started on small waters and then progressed to the reservoirs but found that his real passion is river fishing. A keen river Wylye angler he has now acquired himself some fishing on the Hampshire Avon, setting his sights on the chance of his first Salmon on fly. Dave never messes around when it comes to kit and picked up his Hardy Swift Double Hander, Hardy Zane No2 Reel and a Rio Tips line from the shop which we then spent several happy hours flicking across the length of Island lake. Like a kid with several new toys Dave headed off with a look in his eye that I reckon means he will be out on the river sometime in the next few days.

Closer to home there are migratory species about. A good friend of mine lost a Sea Trout of in the region of 12lb + while another landed a near 25lb Salmon! Both these fish came from the Taw so as soon as I get chance I will be down to our stretch of the Mole (a tributary of the Taw) to see if I can get in amongst this early season run of big fish.



On the main lake Fred and I have just stocked some of the best quality small water Rainbows you could hope to see. These are a credit to Fred's fishing farming skills and one of them is a new potential Exe Valley record. Not the fish you see here, these are big but the "monster" slipped in before I had chance to photograph it! Full finned and full of fight it will be a happy angler that manages to tempt one of these beauties!


I have a full week ahead with guests plus a few other projects but in particular I am very much looking forward to Sunday as I am once again out guiding Jon Hettle, this time on Blagdon lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment