Wednesday, 23 April 2008

Keep Your Fly in the Water!

I have been out fishing for the last couple of days while working on a new project which I will be able to reveal in the not too distant future. Essentially my brief was to "fish as hard as possible!" I was only too happy to oblige. The fish were not.

My venue was Wimbleball lake which Henry Gilbey and I visited recently enjoying some prolific early season sport. Setting up the gear I was pleased to see rods bending along the bank of Ruggs and wished that I was already down there. What is that saying? "Be careful what you wish for"?



I arrived, chucked a couple of buzzers out connected to a floater and started a gentle retrieve almost expecting an instant take. At precisely the same moment the wind changed course slightly and then died resulting in a flat calm. The clouds cleared and the sun beat down. Rods stopped bending.

The next 3 hours proved to be very tough. Not so much as a pull. The harder it became the more I concentrated trying every little trick in the book including different lines, flies, leader configurations you name it! The Trout must have been laughing.

I needed a break and to think. What I came up with is some of the most simple fishing you can imagine. A Rio Midge Tip, 16ft leader and two flies with an Iain Barr Diawl Bach on the top dropper and a mini Humungus on the point. A short while later my first Trout was in the net. So what was the difference?

I got my head down and fished. I broke my own rule during that 3 hours and spent so much time searching for answers that my fly was not in the water and we all know what that means! There was another interesting twist to the day but I will talk about that tomorrow as there are things to be done in readiness for my trip to Blagdon.

And if the flies above mean nothing to you, don't worry, Sue will be loading a bunch to the site very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment