Monday, 5 May 2008

2008 British Open Kayak Fishing Championship


I have just had a very excited call from Mark of White Water Consultancy who last year sponsored me with a fantastic Wilderness Tarpon 140 sit on top, a superb craft to fish from.

They have just put together the first UK kayak fishing competition and anyone can enter. You will need a kayak of course and two buddies. The match is to be fished on a team basis which will also provide safety benefits and the fishing will be based on a catch and release species hunt. This is a saltwater match going out of South Beach, Tenby in Pembrokeshire.

See the PDF entry form and further info/rules here. I think this is a great concept and hope that White Water Consultancy and the competitors have a successful event. This could be the start of something BIG!

Match dates are 21/22 June.

I wish I could attend myself but have a date with some Montana Trout during the event! I love kayaks and Bass but the thought of the Yellowstone National Park and all those crystal clear rivers (and fish) just edges it!!! I will be going with Henry Gilbey who as usual is sunning himself far away (this time in Florida) while photographing awesome fish like this.

An interesting session on the river today. The air temperature has climbed but not a huge amount hatching. Today is the first day I have ventured out without under wader wear or a jacket. That was a mistake! The water is bloody freezing and we watched fish hard on the bottom, occasionally taking nymphs but rarely venturing to the surface. We took a good few fish on Black Tungsten Beaded Nymphs up to 10" and left the water praying that the weather forecast of climbing pressure and temperatures is true. Over the next two days I will be guiding experienced anglers Tim and Tony on 2 stretches of water that I have never seen. I am very excited by this prospect and it shows how much fishing is around here, I will explain more about the beats after we have fished them. Full report soon and I have news of another new beat that we will have access to in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment