Saturday, 10 May 2008

Ladies First Trout


Summer seems to have arrived with more reports of high temperatures in the coming week. This is great news for sunbathers but for anglers, especially on stillwaters, a high sun and flat calm can mean a tough day ahead. My advice when its hot; get out there early. I have had some great sport on Wimbleball by heading out by 5am arriving back here for 9am in time for work.

Today Lucy Daluz overcame the heat and calm conditions to land here first ever Trout on fly after just a few hours of casting tuition in the morning. It is great to see more and more ladies attending courses and fishing here at Exe Valley. Lucy visited with here partner Pete who I also helped out. He has been fishing for many years and has an excellent all round knowledge. However as is often the case he was a self taught caster in need of a tune up, so I spent some time sweetening up his loops and helping out with presentation. The results came in the form of 5 decent fish to varied methods which were joined by 4 more to Lucy's rod. All in all a successful day.

I opened my email this morning to this ...

"Hi Nick Have been putting my new casting skills to the test with this 23lb 8oz chew pike. Dave."

and the image you see here ...


Feast your eyes on this brute! Dave Hilton is a client who came to me recently to spend a day learning about super distance casting using a selection of varied techniques. This was aimed at a trip coming up soon to the USA in search of fly caught Striped Bass. It looks like he has been practicing, well done Dave! Having seen this fish and another caught by my mate Wayne Thomas recently I think that I will be heading to Chew myself very soon to try and get amongst one of these crocodiles!

1 comment:

  1. thats a nice Pike!!
    Nick your have to get in contact with me as you only live up the road and we have had some great pike action..... me and Henry are going to sort another mission soon!! Im based in Tivvy so have to meet up
    cheers
    Danny

    ReplyDelete