Wednesday, 7 May 2008

Lovely Landacre


I can't believe we have fished 2 such stunning places in the last couple of days and that both are within a short drive of my front door. Even more unbelievable that I have not found them sooner, I must be blind.

Once again I was guiding Tim Watson and Tony Kaye. Our destination today was the River Barle; set in arguably some of the most beautiful moorland I have ever clapped eyes on. The guys really picked their trip dates to perfection this year as last year was a wash out for them (although deep bugging still caught on the Lyn) and just last week I was suffering torrential downpours while shooting a feature with Henry Gilbey. See more here.



So what did the Barle have in store for us? A completely different river to Badgworthy Water that we visited yesterday but a New Zealand Dropper or straight dry fly rig is still the best approach. What was most important was to sort out the pools the fish actually inhabit as large areas seem to hold nothing but Salmon Parr (a good sign that the Salmon are spawning) while others would produce a fish or two.



Tony got off to a flying start on his own picking up 3 fish in the first run he fished while Tim and I made our way through an inviting glide that yielded little. We eventually arrived at a tasty looking pool which Tim fished to no avail. Upon closer inspection we found it to be at least 5 feet deep but I reckon 6 feet would be closer. Just above this a classic Trout "riffle" appeared and a short lined Klinkhammer soon had Tim off the mark.



The rest of the session was very similar, tough going but challenging and rewarding. The terrain is not the easiest to negotiate but that is what makes this place so special. The huge rolling moorland combes and areas of forest are absolutely breathtaking. Permits are available through Barry at the Exmoor Forest Inn in Simonsbath who also provide accommodation and food. If you need a guide, equipment and waders then we can help, check out this page for more details.



Back at the office to sort the blog I will shortly be away with the guys to the Anchor Inn before we embark on a night time quest for Sea Trout. This is early season but the air pressure has been high this last couple of days and there are good reports of plenty of fish in the Taw. Our section of the Mole could well be seeing its first run and although we don't expect many fish they could be BIG! And if they don't succeed tonight, well there is always the Exmoor Grand Slam to look forward to which they return for later this year.

I have always been in love with our local fishing especially on the rivers; right now I feel infatuated. With a day off around the corner I am wondering if I myself can sneak off with the 10 footer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment