Sunday, 29 June 2008

Big Exe Brown

Just before I took off for Montana Neil guided Martin Moore on the River Exe, a few miles above the fishery. This superb fish going over a pound fell for, yes you guessed it, an Adams! What an awesome pattern. This fly catches all over the world and outwits fish on days when all else fails.


Now when compared to Montana this Trout is nothing more than a below average specimen, but fishing is relative. Here on our Exmoor Rivers the average is around 8 inches and a few ounces but size is not why we target these stunning creatures. It is all about the stealth and fishing skills required to outwit these cunning little fish. When a big one turns up it really is a bonus.

Just over a week ago I was floating down the Bighorn River with Henry and Clark Smyth. Already this week I have spent 4 days guiding myself and the only fish that comes close to the size we took in America was taken by Nathan Tombleson on Wimbleball Reservoir. However I have hugely enjoyed all my guests company and while I have fallen in love with Montana it was awesome to arrive home to see my family and feast my eyes on the local scenery. I may have grown up here but I never tire of it.

Just yesterday evening Lee Holden hooked a nine inch fish during a guided session on the Mole which fell to that other deadly fly, the Klinkhammer. Lee had one 2 hour lesson about 4 years ago and since then a couple of quick trips to a local stillwater. We spent the morning learning various casts on Sandmartin Pool and as the sun warmed the surface layers our attention turned to the fish. The "specimen" nine inch Trout was caught on the last cast of the day and prior to that we hooked nothing above 7 inches. But Lees smile said it all.

There are many amazing places to fish across the world and South West England is one of them. You can also expect a welcome from Nick Hart Fly Fishing on a par with our American cousins because as Henry Gilbey says in his recent blog entry it is such a shame that many of our service industries don't follow the example set across the Atlantic. Without exception the service we received last week was second to none.

No comments:

Post a Comment