Sunday, 1 June 2008

Freestone Trout Fishing

May seems to have zoomed by and during that time I have enjoyed the company of many guests while fishing a hugely diverse array of venues. Yesterday I guided Tom Steele from London who turned down the chance of a Salmon in favour of heading to Badgworthy Water for small Wild Browns. I headed well into the hills with Tom, walking for a good hour prior to fishing. From the first cast Tom enjoyed take after take to dry flies. The weather was perfect, big blue sky and no wind. Short-lining with a Marksman 10'0" proved to be deadly once again. Arriving back at the car park I bumped into buddy Mike Boniface who was off up the river for a chuck or two. While he did that Tom and I dived into Malmsmeads last chance saloon (it is a little like the wild west!) for a stone-baked pizza and a pint!


During the week I enjoyed a great session on Southwood fishery, run by Nigel Early. Give them a shout on 01271 343608 and book your session on this fantastic venue that holds the best small water fish I have ever seen. Henry Gilbey captured the day and you can see some of the results here.

The Salmon are starting to show. I know of a 12lb fish and another of 9lb taken just minutes from where I sit typing up the blog! Get some fishing via Fish the Exe or give me a shout on 01398 323 008 and I will see what I can do. While the fish are running it is worth having a fly in the water. My own rod is set ready for an early morning campaign tomorrow prior to work and I will be getting out as much as possible over the next couple if weeks. Talking of Salmon today I was in the company of regular guest Steve Talbot who is determined to master Spey casting. We spent the session working on all aspects of this beautiful and yet highly practical cast finishing off with a few casts down the river in case a Salmon felt like taking hold. Steve has set off for the practice water armed with a new Hardy Demon Double Hander from the shop; I cannot believe how popular this range of rods has become! Well, actually I can, they are bloody good!!!

Montana is drawing ever closer, the Sea Trout are in and now that we have just picked up the keys to our new unit we have more space. I am looking forward to June!

No comments:

Post a Comment