Sunday, 29 June 2008

Montana Memories

I guess it must be because I am busy and love what I do. Lets face it, being a fly fishing guide rocks! What am I talking about? Time; where does it go?

Around this time last week Henry and I were just about to get up for our final morning spent in the USA. Now here I am sat catching up on the blog prior to going through a mountain of paperwork. It was straight back to work on Wednesday when I fished the Exe with returning guest James McKellar. On Thursday Rick & Nathan Tombleson who have visited a number of times in the past visited in the hope of catching a Salmon or Sea Trout. Sadly although we have been getting what seems like a great deal of rain it had done nothing to the river so instead we fished for Wild Browns and Grayling. In the cooler temperatures it was noticeable that the fish took the nymph about 3 to 1 in preference to the dry. Come on summer! On Friday we took off to Wimbleball for a boat trip and found fish in all the areas we tried, but deep! The conditions were ideal for top of the water sport but the low temperatures are stalling the fly hatches. Every fish we spooned was full of Daphnia so pack your Di lines and some lures if you are headed out to this stunning venue. Yesterday I completed my guiding week on the Mole and now have 4 days catching up with all the things I didn't do while in Montana. Talking of which ...


Here are a few memories from my own camera. With a photographer of Henry's talent capturing the trip it hardly seems worth taking pictures myself but I always have a little digital slung around my neck in either an Aquapac or more recently the Simms version of this waterproof case which I picked up in a flyshop while away.

On Monday 16th we awoke full of excitement ready for a day spent in Bozeman trawling around the flyshops. But before we got stuck into that we headed to Adams and Son to see Jim, Mary and Mark who built the fly display that now has pride of place here in Hart Flyshop. It felt weird to be handing over the cash in Montana at the very work shop used to build the display when just a few days before it had arrived on our premises!!! Needless to say I was hugely impressed by the very professional set up that Jim and Mary have created and will be installing more of their work into the shop in the near future. With a possible trip out to Montana in October, who knows, maybe I will be able pay them in cash again!


There are so many other moments related to the fishing and the scenery that I could wax lyrical about for hours but to be honest the very best way to put across how utterly amazing I find Montana is to point you in the direction of Henry Gilbeys Montana Gallery and also check out our blog entries starting here and here. But Henry did not totally escape my lens. First of all here he is at work on the Bighorn photographing Clark Smyth and then relaxing on the kayak that we launched on Dailey Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment