Sunday, 10 August 2008

Fishing after Weeding

We are already well into August and yet it only seems a moment ago that the season began. I have been out with several guests over the last few weeks and now that Exe Valley Fishery has been cleared of weed on the main lake the fishing has suddenly become very good indeed.



Neil Pope is a busy IT director in London and needed something to help him relax. A former coarse angler he was soon casting well enough to take 3 fine Trout on dry flies. Iain Barrs Harry Potter dries are certainly devastating on their day! It is so satisfying to introduce people to the sport, particularly those with busy lives who rarely find time for themselves. When we hear back from them it is doubly satisfying!

"Nick, I just want to thank you for a fantastic day, I have not relaxed so much for a long time. I have not stopped talking about the day since my return and had great fun gutting and cooking the fish. Both me and my wife where very surprised how nice fresh Trout is when cooked. I do think I have the bug so I am sure I will be back down. Again many thanks you made everything fun and well worth while." Neil Pope, London (by email)

On Friday a previous guest of Nick Hart Fly Fishing, John Wilkinson arrived to hone his skills from his 1 day course in May. We spent an enjoyable half day working on casting and fishing techniques which resulted in 3 fish. John was using his new fly fishing kit by Wychwood. These rods are amazing value for money and ideal for anyone trying the sport for the first time.




After several reschedules firstly due to the premature birth of Scarlett (my daughter who will be one in Oct, where did the time go!?) and then due to a holiday, Mrs Boddington arrived for her very first attempt at fly fishing aged 80! Guided by Neil she made the best of the fine weather and good water conditions to take this lovely Trout plus two others. It just goes to show that no matter age or sex fly fishing is for all of us. Fly Fishing, elitist; since when?!


Today I am headed out with a long time guest who I have been looking after for over a decade. Dave Sedgwick started with a novice course and since then now takes a rod on the Wylye for Trout and has this year also started fishing the Avon for Salmon, plus he fishes the Dorset coast for Bass. Right now the truck is loaded, my fly box is full of heavy tubes and we are about to take on the Devon weather and water conditions in the hope of a summer (that's a laugh!) Grilse. Report here tomorrow and check out the tuition site as I am making some changes. Plus ... the open day is in just a couple of weeks, Sat 30th August. Look out on the blog, in the press and in your snail mail box for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment