Sunday, 21 September 2008

Meeting Chris Yates

On Saturday we were all up early and away to Barnstaple so that Chester could have his first hair cut at Unique! He was as good as gold and let Dee tidy up his lovely locks ready for nursery on Monday. As a treat we took him and his sister Scarlett to a theme park. I won't name the business in question other than to say it involved "sheep". We should have kept our money and gone feeding the ducks or catching crabs at the harbour side! It was the worst £19 I have ever spent ... enough ranting!

We actually had a great day otherwise and mine was all the better for meeting Chris Yates in Torrington at a book signing based at the River Reads store. To some this name will mean nothing but if you are an angler who was fortunate enough to tune into the BBC series, "A Passion for Angling" you will know Chris as one half of the duo who got up to all sorts of piscatorial adventures even meeting Mr Crabtree along the way! It has been a long time since Chris and his co presenter Bob James graced our terrestrial screens although occasionally the satellite channels will re-run the episodes(look out for them, they are not to be missed). There has never been another series that captured the magic of fishing quite like a Passion for Angling and having seen the disgraceful rubbish (Extreme Fishing with Robson Green) masquerading as entertainment recently aired on Channel 5 I wonder if we will ever see the likes of it again! Crikey more ranting so I had better get back to Chris Yates an altogether calmer man than Mr Green who in amongst signing copies of his new book managed a few minutes to talk fishing with me.


We discussed various things but it was mainly the subject matter for his book that interested me. Chris has become well known for his devotion to coarse fishing and for his use of old, traditional and even antique tackle. Some may find this eccentric and I am not about to swap my carbon for cane but I found his whole approach to fishing to be charming. He is still using vintage tackle but now he has found his passion has swerved to the ocean. His new book "Out of the Blue - On Fishing at Sea" charts his journey into the unknown and a new love affair with Bass. I have not had chance to begin reading the first chapters just yet of my signed copy, but I hope to change that tonight (hope you are listening Scarlett!!!). I also have a signed first edition copy of a Passion for Angling which I picked up on Saturday and relish the chance of reading at the earliest opportunity. Check out River Reads here, you won't be disappointed. They have a very cool shop including some very rare fishing memorabilia such as Fred Bullers cased Pike and rods used by famous names such as Sawyer or Halford. Out of the Blue is published by Penguin, priced £14.99 and available through River Reads.


OK, enough about books and hair cuts, what about some fish Nick! Well the sun is out as I reported last time and the rivers are switching on. Yesterday Andy Warn hooked up with this lovely plump wild Brown during a guided trip with me. The fish took a Copper John fished New Zealand style and put up a serious scrap on our 8'0" Greys Streamflex. Plenty more fish followed although virtually every take came to the deep nymph.


Today was different however for Neil Keep who many of you will know as an instructor here at the fly fishing school. Neil was on a day off today and so naturally ... he went fishing! Returning in baking September sunshine his beaming smile said it all. A haul of over 30 fish, mainly Grayling and some of them approaching 2lbs! All took a dry fished TG emerger and I have the beat myself tomorrow. Hopefully work will release me for a few hours play! Just look at the quality of this River Exe Grayling ... does it get any better?

4 comments:

  1. I met Chris Yates too on Saturday. Absolute legend! Really nice man too.

    I share your views on Robson Green too!

    Great blog. I keep meaning to book a day with you one day (I'm a novice). I will send an email.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, many thanks for your comment. My daughter managed to stay quiet last night and so after a chat with a good mate on the phone I headed off to bed, "Out of the Blue" under arm. 4 Chapters in or "Casts" as the book refers to them and I am riveted. With each new paragraph you just want to know what Chris finds out next and his descriptions of fishing are straight out of his TV series. He captures the magic perfectly. Hope to see you for a course soon. Best Fishes, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nick,

    It was great to discover your website. I was by chance looking to see if there was any news, photo’s from the Chris Yates book signing in Torrington, Devon and stumbled upon your site. I’m glad you had a nice time meeting Chris.

    I would love to have met Chris myself but I just couldn’t do the journey unfortunately. The River Reads book shop sounds fascinating and their website is very interesting.

    I’ve ordered a signed copy of his new book from the book shop though so I’m looking forward to reading it.

    Best wishes

    Ade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nick,

    It was great to discover your website. I was by chance looking to see if there was any news, photo’s from the Chris Yates book signing in Torrington, Devon and stumbled upon your site. I’m glad you had a nice time meeting Chris.

    I would love to have met Chris myself but I just couldn’t do the journey unfortunately. The River Reads book shop sounds fascinating and their website is very interesting.

    I’ve ordered a signed copy of his new book from the book shop though so I’m looking forward to reading it.

    Best wishes

    Ade

    ReplyDelete