Saturday, 6 September 2008

River Exe Floods!

Water, water, everywhere! I think we all thought that 2007 was pretty wet but I reckon that 2008 has beaten it. Yesterday the intrepid trio of Hugh, Jim and Martin headed for Clatworthy Reservoir (nutters!) and I guided in some of the worst conditions ever. But Hugh did hook a fish and raise a couple of others, a serious achievement on a day of biblical weather. Jim also got in on the action landing this Crayfish which took a size 12 Bloodworm!

But the day was all about the weather really which even called for a detour on the way home in the faithful old Toyota because the lane to Exebridge was about 4 feet underwater! Last night the water peaked at about 11pm and I wish I had got some photos because it was 2 feet above the levels that I captured this morning on video. In fact the Anchor Inn prepared themselves with sandbags as the water began lapping at the door.


But it is business as usual for the popular pub that is now prospering under new management. My guests from the last few days have just stayed at the Anchor Inn and will be returning in 2009 for a repeat performance ... hopefully with a little less water! To illustrate just how high the river is I could think of no better way than to put together a couple of short movies ... check them out by clicking here & here.

No comments:

Post a Comment