Tuesday, 21 October 2008

Getting ready for Grayling

After our session on the Pike I headed to Stoneleigh Park in Warwickshire with Sue for the Tackle & Gun trade show. It was great to catch up with the companies who supply us and make some new contacts. Look out online and in the store soon for the results as there were some very cool new products on offer.


Today though I have been engrossed in writing an article for Trout Fisherman and look out in the next issue (385) for a winter feature plus some more casting tips; this time dealing with the techniques required to deal with a head wind.

Right now I have to load the truck with gear which I have spent the last hour preparing in readiness for my first visit to the chalk streams this winter, guiding two regular guests on to some Grayling. This once persecuted fish has now become a cult hero amongst anglers and I for one relish the trip up the A303 in search of this particular species, especially as we will be fishing for them on the Test. I am not really into fishing for the stocked Trout that often find themselves living out their days in this river but the Grayling are truly wild and very often willing to accept a dry fly.


The weather looks good, my clients for the day are very good company and I have just loaded my box with at least 5 dozen new flies ... now all I have to do is manage some sleep! Not so easy when all you can picture is that little dimple as the fly is accepted with an almost inaudible sip resulting in a bent rod and a Cheshire cat grin for my guest. I love to catch them myself but guiding is just as good ... in fact often it is better. Full trip report on Thursday but for the moment check out the beauty of this fish captured above in all its glory by Henry Gilbey.

No comments:

Post a Comment