Sunday, 14 December 2008

Back up for air with some winter Grayling

Apologies to my regular readers, over a month without a post! I will do my best to resume normal service.

It has been quite a month with all sorts going on. In fact it amuses me because I vividly recall the early years when I started out in this business always dreading the quiet winter season. My only option at that point was to work many long hours in a local hotel, but I wouldn't change it for the world because those were exciting times. Ten years on and things are even more exciting as new prospects, adventures and opportunities are never far away. There is always something to be done as although the official season should be 3 months away the fact is that nowadays people are looking for year round sport. Neil and I have been flat out through October and November with guiding while of course at this time of year the shop ups another gear as people prepare for Christmas. Stuck for a gift or desperate for the piscatorial present you have wished for all year? Check out our shop site here for some ideas.

Put our feet up, tie some flies, go fishing all the time ... there is no time for that right now ... although I do intend to sneak another trip to Farmoor before the year is out.



On the river bank I have either been Pike fishing with guests or taking them Grayling Fishing, including Stuart Forsyth from Scotland who took this lovely example of an Exe Grayling during a bitterly cold morning. The Exe is a great venue but hard in the winter, a place to really test your skills. In fact I reckon that one Grayling on our system here is worth at least 10 on a chalkstream. It amazes me how these beautiful fish behave in the different locations, but believe me, in most cases chalkstream Grayling are greedy to point of being glutinous and will even free rise during the coldest of days. Not so up here. Strap on some heavy bugs (probably 3) under a yarn indicator (or just watch the line), cast well upstream and get those flies tumbling along the river bed. Its the only way to enjoy regular success, classic dry or nymph fishing just don't do it. To be honest I love this kind of challenge so long as I am well layered with decent under wader wear. The sight of that indicator or the line suddenly coming to a halt will soon warm you up.!


I have a ton of news but must get back to work so check back for some updates over the next few days. Plus if you need to get away from the family for a few hours, why not enter our Christmas Open Competition? Just £30 to enter, including a 4 fish permit, with £500.00 of prizes on offer! Fishing will be from 10am to 2pm on Sun 28th Dec. Just a few places left so if you fancy a shot yourself please drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment