Sunday, 1 February 2009

Where did January go?

Well there goes the first month of 2009! If I said I have been trying to get to the blog for the last 31 days, you probably wouldn't believe me, but it is true! But I haven't been sat on my hands enjoying the close season, far from it, in fact at this time of year I find my days are filled with things to do.

For example Henry Gilbey (who is currently in Belize) and I have been out and about on a regular basis collecting images for Trout Fisherman magazine. 2009 will see a new series of features for this top Trout monthly which will start to appear around issue 390, out at the beginning of April.


I have seen a record number of people attend fly fishing courses ... during January! Yes, it has been cold! Check the image below. At one point the lake was rock solid for 10 days! But some anglers braved the elements whenever enough water had thawed to allow them to cast a line. During my teaching sessions we had several occasions when the rings froze but wrapped up warm we braved the elements and it was good to get some fresh air.


Many of our customers are also readying themselves for the new season, so the phones have been kept busy and the broadband connection as new lines are spooled, leaders packed and flies lovingly stocked. Preparation is half the fun of looking forward to the new season! But, for me the season never ends and so when possible I have been out after Pike. The canals have been tough at times due to cold, coloured and even frozen water but there are still fish to be caught. Never tried Pike on the fly? Well look out for news here soon about courses I will be running throughout 2009 encompassing many elements of fly fishing including Pike.



The club is growing too and the popularity of our competitions. Just before the new year we were oversubscribed for our Christmas Open match which was won by Doug Jefferies (above) with a 4 fish bag weighing over 19lbs! Dates are already in the diary for the 2009 comps and I will publish these soon here on the blog and also look out in your inbox for a news update any day.

Many of you have been asking about my new Nick Hart Fly Fishing school series that I filmed last year. This is now available and I will post details regarding how you can get to see the shows tomorrow. So if you have been suffering the close season blues keep checking back as now the inbox is cleared I will be back to regular posting ... although forgive me if I wet a line too! There is also a new subscription service now installed at the top of the page to make it even easier to follow the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment